Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Nightmare Before Christmas


Even though it was first released 18 years ago, it withstood the test of time and was released on DVD once again during last Christmas 2011.  Anyway, I brought it since it was a good price.  The Nightmare Before Christmas was, and is, a good film, and I love it.  The attention to detail of some of the characters and background was what made it so fascinating and captivating to watch.  There were so many classic scenes.  To be honest to myself though, I'm quite a bit biased towards this film due to nostalgia, frankly put, the story had so much potential, not that anything was wrong, but the film felt too short!!! There were so many areas it could expand upon, I wanted to see more.  The story never really picked up pace, but I'm being unfair, since it's focus wasn't on that (unlike films these days).  The music and songs were great, I liked most, if not all of them, and it shows how subpar some recent Animated musicals could be (even Corpse Bride didn't have that many "instant like" songs).

I cannot express how I love the originality here, with the different towns for each different holiday, and this was where I wish that Jack Skellington could have visited some other worlds, so we get to have a look at what they are like.

In terms of special features, it's nice that they put in a fair amount into the DVD, especially with the trend of stripping all special features in the DVD release due to the push of Blu-Ray.  Granted it's put onto two discs, but there's a fair amount on it (not that I'm too interested).  Deleted scenes were okay, the animated ones were nice to look at, and I kinda wished they did put it in.  The quality stacks up really well, the digital remastering worked (especially when you compared it to the originals).
Blogger Widget