Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review: The Chimera's Curse


Review:  #160
Title:  The Chimera's Curse
Series:  The Companion's Quartet -4th and final book
Author:  Julia Golding
My Comments:  I liked it, it was a good ending to the series, and a suitable one too, it did not disappoint.  However, that doesn't mean it was perfect as a story, there were many parts where it wasn't captivating enough or started to diverge.  I found myself just reading through it just so I can get to the latter parts where it develops.  As the final book, I expected a build up to the final fight, but there wasn't much foreshadowing here.  I didn't like the middle where Connie started rebelling and going on bad terms with the Society, I thought that wasn't really necessary, and was the part that ruined it for me.  The way the whole series was resolved was pretty cool, I would have expected a fight of Connie against Kullervo, using the arsenal of skill she had learnt the forbidden skills but I was glad this wasn't the case, the way it was done was fitting.  The last page and revelation of how there was a second Universal wasn't that great, I felt that this event made Connie lose her special status, I wouldn't mind so much if this wasn't the final book, but I would rather she is still the only Universal in the series’ ending.  Anyway, there is a lot of potential for additional stories, and it’s a decent book and series overall.
Rating:  7/10
Blogger Widget