Friday, April 6, 2012

Book Review: Black Cat Volume 15: Eve of Battle


Review:  #178
Title:  Black Cat Volume 15:  Eve of Battle
Series:  Black Cat - 15th volume
Author:  Kentaro Yabuki
Read Before:  no
My Comments:  First off, this volume has the best cover, both in terms of style of drawing and what’s on it, it was drawn really well.  Anyway, I was fairly hyped up for this volume (particularly since it was the last one I hadn’t read), with the fights that I knew was going to happen here.  However, I was just a bit disappointed, the fights were too brief, especially Train versus Maro, as Maro was a fairly important character, I would have expected the fight to last a bit longer, and Maro showing more of his techniques.  As it is, and knowing that he doesn't turn up again (in an important position), makes this even worse.  River against Preta was equally disappointing, I wanted to see more variety of moves by Preta and River, it felt kinda cheap how River won.  The third and final battle of the volume, and the one that takes the most chapters, is Eve versus Leon.  I had high hopes for this one, since Eve is supposed to fully use her powers, and it was okay, the mermaid gimmick was used less than I would have liked (it could have been incorporated better), but it was awesome seeing her transform into a shield, gaining wings, and turning into steel, so much potential, so little space.  I was hoping Charden would get a mention, as his arc never got resolved in the later volumes (how he stopped attacking the Chrono Numbers even though he hated them for some reason), but nup.  All in all, it delivers, just barely (my expectations were too high), but a lot of fight scenes here (the next volume is better).
Rating:  7/10
Blogger Widget