Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Book Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid


Review:  #180
Title:  Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Series:  Diary of a Wimpy Kid - 1st book
Author:  Jeff Kinney
Read Before:  no
My Comments:  Finally able to have a look at what made this series so popular, I think the hype killed it for me.  I had the impression that either it was really good (story wise) or really funny, although it might be the latter, it just did not live up to my expectations.  The laughs that I got, were mostly just one off, that were only good the first time around.  It was one of those that you laugh at and then forget, since it’s not memorable.  In terms of story, there was nothing special, and maybe its because I had seen the movie (which follows the book pretty well, to my surprise), but it did not terribly interest me.  It seemed to skim through the events without going into detail for any of them, and now, it might be a good thing, but it felt that it had no focus and not anchoring plot.  It’s very easy to breeze over the book, one hour is pretty much all you need, due to the simple writing and abundance of pictures, I didn't feel like I wasted my reading it, but I cannot say that this is a great book.
Rating:  6/10
Blogger Widget