Sunday, April 15, 2012

Up


The first time I watched Up was on a plane, and my initial impressions were that it was an okay movie, and not spectacular as you would come to expect of  Disney Pixar film.  Now, this second viewing, where I had time and the mood to properly enjoy it, I did enjoy it.  It was a really nice movie, I had already thought the concept was good, and being some time since I first watched it, most of the movie seemed 'fresh' to me.  I was surprised at the amount of humour it had in it because I expected less.  This feels like an emotional movie, especially the beginning, and then the end, both were very well done.  The opening succeeded in getting me to emphasize with the main character, Carl.  Russell might have been annoying to Carl, but I thought he worked as a character, and in turn, I ended up liking him.  I was hesitant with Dug at first, due to the speaking collar thing, which seemed uninspiring, but it turned out okay.  I was surprised at the dark-ish and violent-ish climax, where the antagonist Charles started attacking them.  Overall, enjoyable movie to watch, I wouldn't say I loved it, but I still liked it very much.

I know I always use this expression, but I was surprised to find that the Blu-Ray was a two disc affair, so there was a decent amount of special features.  Even better is that they packed in two shorts that were related to the film, the first one, Partly Cloudy was interesting, and good.  At first I didn't get what was going on, and what it was trying to say, but by the end of it, it was excellent, and was over all too soon.  The second short was Dug's Special Mission, which tied in with the film universe, while the events were very typical and overdone, it wasn't as boring as you would expect.  I thought the interactive game included was so so, but the documentaries were okay.  I liked watching the storyboards of an alternate opening.
Blogger Widget