Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time


The first Ratchet & Clank game that I've played, and boy, was I glad I actually played it.  Heard all the good things about this series (and I liked Spyro back in the PS1 days) and I grabbed it (wanted Tools of Destruction instead but that was discontinued... and hard to find now).  It was a great experience, the gameplay was a lot of fun, and I loved the variety of gadgets that you use to destroy enemies.  The humour was well done, and although a lot of typical moments, I found they were still enjoyable and makes a nice difference to the serious tone of other video games that I've been playing.  The graphics are good and the music excellent.  Even though it's the third game in the PS3 series, the story was very easy to follow and there was a nice recap at the beginning (I loved how a clip plays while the game is installing, it really makes it less boring waiting).

The platforming sections are great, although some are a bit annoying.  The game made me wanting to break everything in sight, in order to collect all the bolts, and purchasing the weapons and armour upgrades.  I'm surprised at the amount of sidequests available here, although they aren't as much fun as the story levels.  There is a whole heap of collectibles, even after finishing the game, still got around a few hours worth of collecting left (if you're aiming for the Platinum trophy).  I was pleasantly surprised at the final boss, as it was not what I had expected (but not totally out of the blue).  There's not much to fault, however, all the boss fights seem very similar and you use the same techniques to win, it's understandable since there's only so many ways you can stage a boss fight.  I really like the variety of gameplay elements, it broke up the pace nicely and in a good way.  Instead of just breaking all the crates and defeating enemies, you get to grind rails, and then plant some seeds or find some stuff.  The Platinum trophy is very easy to get as well, and doesn't take that long to do it (roughly 22 hours), but it's still satisfying. Very good game overall and definitely warrant a play.

-----------------------------

Other game reviews can be found on this page.

Blogger Widget