Monday, April 1, 2013

The Mask


In my opinion, one of the best films in which it stars Jim Carrey.  I think this was the one for me which cemented my liking for his films (well... his older ones anyway).  This was a great adaptation of the character, and I think it was a perfect choice for Jim Carrey as the titular character.  His weird and crazy actions, which seem out of place at times in other films, is perfect here, and suits the character, Mask, very well.  I liked the earlier parts of the film, where the main character, Stanley, just discovers the powers of the Mask and things happen.  It was much more enjoyable and funny.  I guess they had to find some way to wrap up the movie instead of just letting the character run wild, and thus the antagonist Tyrell appears here.  It wasn't as fun with the movie's ending since a large portion of it is spent with Stanley... being Stanley.  Throughout the whole climax, you're just waiting for him to don the mask and let the action start.  The special effects, while looking old and dated now, were good for it's time.  Some of the more over the top things were noticeably faker.  I like this live action take on the character, it's really hard to pull off yet they did.

Blogger Widget